Reports & Citations
Discover MPAtlas in:
Most Recently Mentioned in the News:
takepart- takepart.com: The Problem With England's New Marine Parks- Hightlights Beth Pike, Conservation Scientist, and Mike Gravitz, Director of Policy & Legislation, of the Marine Conservation Insititute.
SeaStates US 2016
- Marine Conservation Institute (2016)
Dare to be Deep: SeaStates Report on North America's Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)
- Jessen, Sabine, Lance Morgan, and Juan Bezaury-Creel (2016) Ottowa, Seattle, and México City: Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society, Marine Conservation Institute, 52pp.
SeaStates US 2015
- Marine Conservation Institute (2015)
SeaStates G20 2014
- Pike, E.P., K.L.P. Shugart-Schmidt, R.A. Moffitt, V.R. Saccomanno, L.E.Morgan (2014)Marine Conservation Institute, Seattle. 18 pp.
SeaStates US 2014
- Marine Conservation Institute (2014)
SeaStates US 2013
- Marine Conservation Institute (2013)
The Aspen Institute Energy Environment Program: The Ocean Community Report - Building an Aligned and Supportive Ocean Conservation Community
- MPAtlas.org highlighted under "existing opportunities for the ocean community to share information."
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument: The largest ocean legacy on Earth
- "The new National Monument alone would protect 18 percent of the United States EEZ, and it would double the area of the ocean that is currently fully protected globally."
The Pew Charitable Trusts: Sentinels of the Ocean - The science of the world's penguins
- "As of early 2015, only 0.94 percent of the world's oceans were designated as no-take."
Science Express: Making Waves - The scienceand politics of ocean protection
- "We thank R. Moffitt, B. Pike, and the MPAtlas team...."
Ecology and Society: Controversies and consensus on the lionfish invasion in the Western Atlantic Ocean
Carballo- Cardenas, E. C. 2015. Ecology and Society 20(3): 24. Http://dx.doi.org/10/5751/ES-07726-200324
Hamilton Island: The Innovative Cultural Enterprise
Nick Birch, 2015. Munich, GRIN Verlag.
One size does not fit all: The emerging frontier in large-sclae marine conservation
Toonen R.J., Wilhelm A., Maxwell S.M., Wagner D., Bowmen B.W., Sheppard C.R.C., Taei S.M., Teroroko T., Moffitt R., Gaymer C.F., Morgan L., Lewis N., Sheppard A.L.S., Parks J., Friedlander A.M
Marine Pollution Bulletin, Elsevier, 15 Decemeber 2013.
SeaStates G20 2014: How much of the seas are G20 nations really protecting
Shugart-Schmidt et al., 2015 K. Shugart-Schmidt, E.P. Pike, R.A. Moffitt, V.R. Saccomanno, S.A. Magier, L.E.,Morgan
Ocean. Coast. Manag., 115 (2015)
Recht door zee: Hedendaags internationaal zee- en maritiem recht
Cliquet A., Maes F (eds)
Review: The Philippine Marine Protected Area (MPA) Database
Cabral et al., 2015 R.B. Cabral, P.M. Alino, A.C.M. Balingit, C.M. Alis, H.O. Arceo, C.L. Nanola Jr., R.C. Geronimp, MSN Partners
Phil. Sci. Lett. 2014 7(2)
Featured MPAtlas.org Map
Digital Journal: The U.S. now has the largest marine reserve in the Pacific
Huffington Post: How to Protect the Ocean from Us?
National Geographic Society, Ocean Views: For Marine Reserves, Size Matters
National Wildlife Federation: Newly Expanded Reserve Provides a Haven for Marine Wildlife
Sailors for the Sea: Protecting the Pacific!
Surfer Magazine: White House Protects the Pacific
MPAtlas in the News
The Atlantic: A Blueprint for Protecting the World’s Oceans
- Figure 1: "An MPAtlas visualization of marine proteced areas around the world"
- Figure 2: "Palau's tiny islands are not visible on this map, which shows, in the central highlighted section, Palau's Exclusive Economic Zone and proposed marine sanctuary. The sanctuary would cover an area as large as France."
Environmental Defense Fund: MPAtlas Provides New Tool to Learn about Marine Protected Areas
- Figure 3: "...has developed an online digital atlas that assembles information on marine protected areas (MPAs) around the world."
- "This is a valuable tool that provides the ability to explore sites and characteristics of existing and proposed MPAs."
Le Parisien: Observe sharks, tourism to biodiversity?
- Figure 5: Map of global shark sanctuaries.
High Seas Alliance: Marine Conservation Institute Tracks Global MPAs
- "...report that used MPAtlas.org data to rank the G20 member countries on how well they have established strongly protected no-take marine reserves."
Grist.org: Via the Marine Conservation Institute - The Great Barrier Reef's No Good, Very Bad Year Will Test How Fast It Can Adapt
Marine Science Today: Everything You Need to Know About Marine Protected Areas
- "With the recent rise in Marine Protected Areas (MPAs), we wanted to share a great new resource: MPAtlas."
Mission Blue: MPAtlas Launch on World Oceans Day
- "The stories of vibrant ocean places are cataloged on MPAtlas."
Mission Blue: Ranking Shows Most Coastal States Failing to Protect Oceans
- "The science team at Marine Conservation Institute compiled SeaStates using MPAtlas.org, the world's best information source on marine protected areas."
Mission Blue: Global Ocean Refuge System Launched by Marine Conservation Institute
- "...the area of stronger, no-take protection is lower, ~1% according to MPAtlas.org..."
National Geographic: Found Treasure Map of the Ocean: MPAtlas.org
- "To me, this is like the treasure map, with only one difference: the more people enjoy the treasure, the more its value will increase."
NOAA Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center Blog: Sulu-Sulawesi - A seascape in the Heart of the Coral Triangle
One Green Planet: How We're Working to Protect the World's Oceans for Future Generations
- "MPAtlas.org, the world's most comprehensive marine protected area database, is our interactive tool to examine marine protected area coverage and provide data for our analyses and reports examining conservation and protection of the ocean."
Project Aware: First- Ever National Ranking Shows Most Coastal States Failing to Protect Oceans
- "The science team at Marine Conservation Institute compiled SeaStates using MPAtlas.org...."
Science Daily: Protecting 30 percent of the ocean has many benefits, study suggests - Protecting large stretches of the ocean from human influence may well be good for conservation
Shark Defenders: Shark Conservation Laws
- Figure 5: Map of global shark sanctuaries.
Waitt Foundation: Announcing the Release of MPAtlas.org
- "...www.MPAtlas.org, dedicated to bringing the importance of ocean parks into the public eye."
U.S. Department of State Diplomacy in Action: Closing the Next Steps Panel of Our Ocean Conference
"So working together with MCI, the Marine Conservation Institute, we created MPAtlas.org. It tracks around 6,500 marine protected areas around the world right now." - Ted Waitt, Founder and Board Chairman, The Waitt Foundation
Discovery: Shark Week Sharkopedia
- MPAtlas.org cited as a habitat and location reference for areas such as Honduras, the Bahamas, and Raja Ampat.
Waitt Institute: The Case for Marine Reserves
- Referenced under "Key Websites"
OpenChannels: Drawing the Line - Visualizing global MPA distributation using practical protection categories with MPAtlas.org
- Presented by Lance Morgan, President, and Russell Moffitt, MPAtlas Project Manager; Marine Conservation Institute
- This webinar is co-sponsored by the NOAA National Marine Protected Areas Center, OpenChannels, MPA News, and the EBM Tools Network