298. The area has high diversity of habitats in close proximity, both intertidal and subtidal rocky and soft sediment habitats. However, excluding Tow Rock would limit the ability to protect deeper rocky reef areas.
299. The Forum has provided options because Tow Rock is a highly valued place. It has high significance for iwi, recreational and commercial interests, and the Forum expects the public will have a range of views about whether Tow Rock should be included in the proposed marine reserve or not.
300. Being on the doorstep of Dunedin, a marine reserve here would be a flagship marine reserve for the entire coast, in terms of the number of people who were aware of it and may visit it.
285. Two options are proposed for consultation. Both options are for a marine reserve, extending along the coast from in the vicinity of Harakeke Point to approximately one km to the south of the breaking rock to the west of White Island:
a. Option 1: Has the boundary which extends directly from Harakeke Point to a point approximately one km to the south of the breaking rock to the west of White Island. Its coastal boundary is near the St Clair Salt Water Pool. Option 1 excludes Tow Rock.
b. Option 2: Has the same boundary as Option 1, but extends further offshore to include Tow Rock.
286. These MPA options are both no-take marine reserves and as such, all forms of fishing would be prohibited.
287. Both options extend 17.8 km (9.6 nm) along the shoreline (which equates to 2.3% of the Forum region’s coastline).
288. Option 1 covers 28.8 km2 which is 0.3% of the Forum region’s area; whereas Option 2 covers 35.5 km2, 0.4% of the region’s area.
289. For both options fishing vessels would be allowed to enter the area, so long as they had no gear used for the purpose of fishing in the water at the time. This is regardless as to whether they are carrying fish or not (and in accordance with existing fisheries regulations). No discharge to the MPA would be allowed, this includes (but not limited to) grey water, sewage and fish waste.
290. There are wāhi tapu located on the coast and the recovery of koiwi and other cultural artifacts by Kāi Tahu shall not be impacted by this proposal.