381. This site would protect an estuary on this coast, and is required under the MPA Policy. Of the three similar estuaries proposed for protection within the region, this ranks highly.
374. The proposed marine protected area with fishery restrictions includes the entire Akatore Estuary and incorporates 0.3 km2 of estuarine habitat. The boundary of this MPA adjoins the proposed MPA ‘M – Akatore Coastal’ that includes a marine reserve MPA on the open coastal area from just north of the estuary to 600 m south of Watson’s Beach.
375. The restrictions that are proposed for this estuary are designed to protect the estuary from high levels of fish extraction that would compromise the ecological systems, as well as bottom disturbance. They include:
• no dredging
• no set net fishing
• no commercial line fishing
• no mechanical harvesting (including spades for collecting shellfish)
• no fyke net fishing
• no whitebaiting
376. Hand-gathering, spear fishing and recreational line fishing, noncommercial gathering of paruparu and beach cast kelp will be permitted.
377. This package of fishing restrictions is proposed to allow for the maintenance and recovery of the biodiversity of the area, by prohibiting bottom impacting methods and reducing fishing effects on the ecosystem, natural species composition and trophic linkages.
378. There are wāhi tapu located on the coast and the recovery of koiwi and other cultural artifacts by Kāi Tahu shall not be impacted by this proposal.