104. The site currently has a voluntary trawl ban, in recognition of the importance of the area as habitat for school shark and elephant fish. The proposed restrictions would provide regulatory protection for habitat supporting school shark pupping and elephant fish eggs. It would also complement the mātaitai reserve, within which commercial fishing is already prohibited.
98. This proposed marine protected area is in the north of the Forum’s region, near Timaru. It is south of, and abuts, the Tuhawaiki Mātaitai Reserve. It extends 4.4 km (2.4 nm) along shore, and offshore to 1.1 km (0.59 nm), and encompasses approximately 4.4 km2.
This MPA would include fisheries restrictions that would prohibit:
• all bottom trawling
• all dredging
99. The fisheries restrictions would not restrict potting or recreational fishing with the possible exception of recreational fishing with lines (including kontiki) of more than five hooks. Danish seining is already prohibited in this area.
100. The Forum is also considering whether to extend restrictions to include:
a. all net fishing
b. commercial long lining
c. mid water trawling
101. This package of fishing restrictions is proposed to allow for the maintenance and recovery of the biodiversity of the area, by prohibiting bottom impacting methods and reducing fishing effects on the ecosystem, natural species composition and trophic linkages.
102. There are wāhi tapu located on the coast and the recovery of koiwi and other cultural artifacts by Kāi Tahu shall not be impacted by this proposal.