Bounty Islands are a scattering of 20 igneous islets and rocks lying 700 km east-south-east of New Zealand. They were discovered by Captain William Bligh in 1788, just months before the mutiny on the Bounty, and the islands are named after this infamous ship. The name of the reserve translates as “angry wind”, a wonderful description of the conditions often found at these remote islands.
The largest island of the Bounties is Depot Island (because there used to be a castaway depot on it) which is 800 m long and 88 m at its highest point. Bounty Islands/ Moutere Hauriri Marine Reserve covers 58% of their territorial sea. The islands themselves are all Nature Reserves.
Bounty Islands/Moutere Hauriri Marine Reserve was created in 2014, at the same time as marine reserves for the Campbell Island/Motu Ihupuku and Antipodes Island/Moutere Mahue islands.
There is a “type 2 marine protected area” covering the rest of the territorial sea that still allows the commercial ling fishery. Bottom trawling, Danish seining and dredging are prohibited.